HOOE is a parish, about 5 miles north-east from Pevensey station on the Hastings branch of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway 6 south-west from Battle, 10 west from Hastings, 11 east-north-east: from Eastbourne and 10 east from Hailsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Ninfield hundred, Hastings rape and county court district, petty sessional division of Battle, Hailsham union, Hastings rural deanery and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The Ashburn stream passes through the parish. The church of St. James, which appears to have been renamed St. Oswald, is of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style and has a tower containing 5 bells : the church was partially restored in 1889-1890, the work being completed in 1899 and the bells re-cast. at a total cost of £2,200, the church affords 250 sittings. The register dates from 1531. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200 with 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1889 by the Rev. Cuthbert Routh M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. A fair for cattle is held here on May 1st. An alien priory of Benedictine monks attached to the Abbey of Bec, was founded here about 1139. The Earl of Ashburnham and Viscount Hythe, who is lord of the manor, are the largest landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, sand.
The chief crop is wheat. The area is 2,473 acres; rateable value £ 2916; the population in 1911 was 448.
Sexton, John Collins.
Post Office. - Samuel Dodson, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Battle at 7.40 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.; dispatched at. 10.30 a.m and 6.10 p. m.; Sundays arrive at 8.30 a. m. and are dispatched 10.10 a. m. The nearest telegraph and money order office is at Ninfield, 2 miles distant.
Letter Boxes - Broad Street green, cleared at 7.45 a.m. and 6 p.m. ; Sundays, 9 a m,; The Grove, cleared at 8.15 a.m. and 3.45 p.m.; Sundays, 9.15 a.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed) for 100 children: John James Newport, master; Mrs. Emily Newport, infants' mistress
Carrier -- John Clifton, to Hastings, tues. and fri.and Bexhill, thurs
| PRIVATE RESIDENTS | ||
| Collins Charles, carpentar, High house | Morris, Thos., farmer. Saddlers' farm | |
| Brand, John Edmund, The Grove | Deeprose, Rufus, Market Gardener | Ockenden, Charles Henry, Lamb P.H., Sewers bridge |
| Routh, Rev. Cuthbert M. A. (Vicar), The Lodge | Dodson, S., grocer and draper. Post Office | Pilbeam, Frank, farmer, Dewby's farm |
| Silvester, Mrs., High-field House | Drake, Charles, Farmer, Broad Street | Pilbeam, James, market gardener |
| COMMERCIAL | ||
| Gander Bros, farmers, School farm | Sargent, Horace and Son, market gardeners | |
| Baker, Thomas, market gardener | Hayward, Richd Wm., Assist overseer for the parish of Hooe, The Mount | Sheather, Horace and Arthur, market gardeners |
| Barton, Harry, Red Lion P. H. | Hewitt, Margaret and Florence, farmers, Oldbury farm | Simmons, Ernest and Walter, blacksmiths |
| Beaney, Absalom, fruit grower | Holt, Edward, farmer. Sandhill farm | Smith, James. butcher |
| Boniface, Henry. Farmer, Allcross | Lemmon, Arthur, farmer, Holmes farm | Solomon, Frank. poultry, farmer |
| Brand, Jn. Edmund, farmer, Grove farm | Mitchell, J. (Mrs.) and Sons, farmers. Court Lodge | Taylor, Horace, builder |
| Carey, Wm., farmer, Olives farm | Morris Samuel, farmer, Akehurst farm | Weston, Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer, Castlehurst farm |
| Clifton, John, carrier | Whitehead, Richard, boot repairer |